In a previous post here, I talked about taking time for yourself. Today the question is, “how does taking “me” time help me?”
Here’s the thing, our heart and emotions need time to rest and recuperate, just as our bodies need sleep time. You don’t feel guilty for going to bed and sleeping each night. Do you?
I hope you don’t. Because experts have told us we need sleep to function. How much sleep is up for debate. But everyone sleeps, at least a few hours a day.
It’s the same with our hearts and emotions. They need time to rest, to not be working.
Taking time for you allows you to:
1. To focus on something besides the pain, loss, depression. While we are all good at multi-tasking, generally our tasks involve action that we can do without thinking.
It’s the same when we focus on doing something for us. Concentrating on the activity that adds joy to our lives, pushes out the thoughts of pain. At least for a short time.
2. Continue the good feeling because the joy lasts. Even after we leave our fun activity, we continue to feel joy and happiness. Sure life overwhelms us again, but the uplifting feeling remains, and stops the pain from taking us too deep.
3. Handle the sudden emotional onslaughts that happen. They happen, and having done something just for you, gives your heart the strength to deal with the surprise bouts of pain when they come.
4. Smile. Doing something for us makes us smile.Smiles, like chocolate, make everything better.
5. Adds anticipation to your days, we all need something to look forward to. Remember the promise of your birthday, Halloween or Christmas as a child? The pure excitement sometimes sustained us on test days at school or when siblings pestered us to no end. It’s the same now. The knowledge that something good is coming our way soon, makes the dreary, yucky days more bearable.
See? Doing something fun and enjoyable is good for you. Like eating chocolate, and drinking coffee is actually healthy for you, being a little selfish and doing something for you is healthy.
How has doing something just for you helped you?
Have you tried to multi-task doing something for yourself and others at the same time?
Do you think it’s selfish to take time for you?