It’s National Letter Writing Week and Music Monday. So, I’m going to combine them.
There is also a National Writing Day and Month, and neither of them are in January, how weird is that? Maybe it’s to spread the mail love. After all who doesn’t enjoy receiving mail that isn’t an advertisement or a bill? At any rate, this, the second week in January is National Letter Writing Month.
What’s Nice About Letters
- They’re personal, they take time and effort to write and send. Unlike an email that can be written in a moment and sent even quicker.
- They’re tangible and can be held in our hands. Sure we can print off an email, but it doesn’t have the same feel and weight as a letter sent by someone.
- We can save them. How many women keep letters their husbands sent, and re-read them years later?
- We look forward to receiving a letter in the mailbox.
- Writing a letter can be healing.
Letter Writing Prompt (or Challenge)
This week consider sending (or in some cases writing a letter) every day. Since I’m joining up with Ultimate Blog Challenge and am posting daily for the month of January I’ll post a letter suggestion here each day.
For today, write a letter, or send a postcard to a relative who lives far away. Leave a comment below and tell who is going to receive your letter. I’m sending a postcard to my cousin. She lives in New York and I haven’t seen her in over ten years.
There are an abundance of songs written about mail and letters. I’ll share just a few here.
First, in honor of other cousins, as well as friends there is LETTERS FROM HOME – John Michael Montgomery
Next up, travel back in time to an oldie (ohhh, really and oldie?) THE LETTER – The Boxtops (
Then there’s this newer song (really it’s newer to me, even if the clip is from 1995) BOX FULL OF LETTERS – Wilco
Then there’s this really oldie, PLEASE MISTER POSTMAN – The Marvelettes
.I hope you take a few minutes to write a letter. You can enjoy the music while you’re writing.
Do you write letters often?
Who do (or would) you enjoy receiving a letter from?
What is your favorite “letter” song?
Don’t forget to leave a comment below, I love comments, they are music to my eyes. Joining Ultimate Blog Challenge, come and join us.